Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether
PnB Glycol Ether
PnB glycol ether is a fast evaporating, hydrophobic solvent which is extensively used in heavy-duty cleaning formulations. It does an excellent job of solvating and coupling hydrophobic greases and oils in household as well as industrial formulations. It is partly water soluble and miscible with most organic solvents. PnB glycol ether also provides excellent surface-tension lowering ability. In coatings PnB offers good coalescing ability in systems requiring fast evaporation
Uses for Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether
- Coupling agent and solvent in household and industrial cleaners, grease and paint removers, metal cleaners, and hard surface cleaners.
- Effective coupling agent and efficient solvent for water-reducible coatings.
- Effective coalescent for lowering minimum film formation temperature (MFFT) in water-borne latex coatings.
- Active solvent for solvent-based coatings.
- Chemical intermediate for the production of epoxides, acid ester derivatives, solvents, and plasticizers.
- Effective coupling agent in water based agricultural formulations.
Features of Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether
- Excellent solvency
- Good oil solubility
- Effective surfactant properties
- Excellent coupling ability
- Good evaporation rate control
- Greater formulating flexibility
- Low viscosity
- Wide range of applications
- Low toxicity
- Practical alternative to Butyl glycol
- Colourless liquid
Properties of Propylene glycol Butyl ether:
CAS No: 5131-66-8
Molar mass: 132.2 g mol
Density: 0.878 g/cm, liquid
Boiling Point: 171 C
Flash Point: 63 C
Autoignition Temperature: 260 C
Viscosity: 3.1 cP at 25 C
Solubility in water: 5.5g per 100g
Other Names: Dowanol PnB, Propylene glycol normal butyl ether,
PLEASE NOTE: This product is not for human or animal consumption.
Click here for MSDS
Click here to view sales specification sheet