Ethanolamine is an organic chemical compound that is both a primary amine and a primary alcohol. Like other amines, monoethanolamine acts as a weak base / alkali. Ethanolamine is a flammable, corrosive, colourless, odourless liquid with a mild odour of ammonia. MEA is obtained from the reaction between ammonia and ethylene oxide.
USES FOR MONOETHANOLAMINE
Monoethanolamine is a chemical intermediate in the manufacture of surface-active agents, emulsifiers, and plasticizing agents; a gas-scrubbing agent for the absorption and removal of H2S and CO2 from refinery and natural gas streams; carbon dioxide and ammonia manufacturing.
- MEA is used in aqueous solutions for scrubbing acidic gases.
- It is used as feedstock in the production of detergents, emulsifiers, polishes, corrosion inhibitors, chemical intermediates.
- It is used to neutralise fatty acids like stearic acid and oleic acid to produce soaps etc.
- Reacting ethanolamine with ammonia gives the commonly used ethylenediamine.
- In Cement production it is used to enhance strength, reduce drying time and protect against the affects of freezing and thawing.
- In metal working fluids it is used to neutralize acid components in lubricants, prevent corrosion and rusting, and for proprietary corrosion inhibitors and biocides.
- In printing inks to control the pH.
- monoethanolamine pulping of beech and spruce wood for production of dissolving pulp.
- In agrochemicals it is used as neutralizer agent for anionic emulsifiers.
PROPERTIES OF MONOETHANOLAMINE
Other Names: 2-aminoethanol, monoethanolamine, beta-aminoethanol, beta-aminoethyl alcohol, ethylolamine, glycinol, olamine, MEA, UASF EK-1597, colamine, beta-hydroxyethylamine
EINECS No: 205-483-3
Mol. Weight: 61.08
UN No: 2491
Appearance: Colourless liquid with an odour of ammonia
FlashPoint (oC): 85
Density (kg/L): 1.02
Melting point: 10 - 12 C
Boiling point: 170 C
Solubility: Soluble in water in all proportions
Vapour pressure: 0.4 mmHg
Incompatibilities & Reactivities: Strong oxidizers, strong acids, iron [Note: May attack copper, brass, and rubber.]
PLEASE NOTE: There may be a delay of 1 to 2 weeks for orders of the 200L containers.
Health & Safety
R-phrase(s): R20/21/22 Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. R34 Causes burns.
S-phrase(s): S26 In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. S36/37/39 Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. S45 In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show the label where possible).
PLEASE NOTE: This product is not for human or animal consumption.
Click here for MSDS
Click here for Sales Specification sheet