MEK – Methyl Ethyl Ketone – Butanone
Butanone, also known as methyl ethyl ketone or MEK, is an organic compound with the formula CH3C(O)CH2CH3. This colorless liquid ketone has a sharp, sweet odour reminiscent of acetone. It is produced industrially on a large scale, and also occurs in trace amounts in nature.
Other Names: Methyl ethyl ketone; MEK; 2-Butanone; Methylpropanone; Ethylmethylketone; Methylacetone
PROPERTIES OF MEK:
- CAS No: 78–93–3
- Molecular formula: CH3C(O)CH2CH3
- Purity: 100%
- Colour: 5 Pt-Co
- Specific gravity: 0.805g/cm3
- Boiling point: 79.6C
- Solubility in water: 27.5 g/100 mL
USES FOR MEK - METHYL ETHYL KETONE – BUTANONE:
- As a solvent to dissolve gums, resins, cellose acetate, vinyl and nitrocellulose coatings & films.
- Used in the manufacture of plastics.
- Used in the manufacture of paraffin wax.
- Used in manufacture of varnish & paint strippers.
- As a solvent cleaner.
- Carrier for erasable dyes in dry markers.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is not for human or animal consumption.
Click here to view MSDS
Click here to view Sales specification sheet