Sodium hydroxide 30%
30% Caustic Soda Solution
Sodium hydroxide solution (NaOH) commonly known as caustic soda liquor, is supplied as a 30% by weight solution of pure sodium hydroxide powder dissolved in water. NaOH is a strong alkaline substance that dissociates completely in water to sodium and hydroxyl ions. The solution is slightly viscous and completely miscible with water and alcohols.
Sodium hydroxide is used to manufacture soaps, rayon, paper, explosives, dyestuffs, and petroleum products. It is also used in processing cotton fabric, laundering and bleaching, metal cleaning and processing, oxide coating, electroplating, and electrolytic extracting. It is commonly present in commercial drain and oven cleaners.
Sodium Hydroxide is manufactured by the electrolysis of salt (sodium chloride). Solid sodium hydroxide is obtained from this solution by the evaporation of water.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is not for human or animal consumption.
Properties of sodium hydroxide 30% solution:
- CAS No: 1310-73-2
- Appearance: clear, colourless, odourless solution
- Density: 1.33
- Boiling Point: 115C
- pH: 14
- Solubility: Completely miscible with water.
General Uses for Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium hydroxide is used for many applications including:
- In the manufacture of soap. It is used to saponify oils and fats, converting them to the sodium salt of the fatty acid (soap).
- A laboratory reagent. Sodium hydroxide is predominantly ionic, containing sodium cations and hydroxide anions. The hydroxide anion makes sodium hydroxide a strong base (alkali) which reacts with acids to form water and the corresponding salts.
- Cleaning products like Heavy duty degreasers, oven cleaners, parts washers, drain cleaners, Cleaners for milk parlour pipework.
- As a relaxer to straighten hair (For professional use only !!).
- Metal polishes
- Paint & varnish stripping
- Aquarium products
- For Biodiesel Production (addition to methanol to form sodium methoxide)
- Water treatment
- Paper and pulp industries because the substance helps separate cellulose fibers from lignin. The freed cellulose fibers can then be formed into paper.
- NaOH is also used by the drink and beer industry to clean non-disposable bottles.
- It is used to revitalise acids in petroleum refining.
- Manufacture of polymers, rayon, cellophane etc
- It can be used as an additive in drilling mud to increase alkalinity in bentonite mud systems increases the mud viscosity.
- to mercerize cotton in the textile industry.
In the laboratory Sodium hydroxide has been used extensively to remove proteins from ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, and gel filtration media. Sodium hydroxide is widely accepted for cleaning, sanitising, and storing chromatography media and systems.
Sodium hydroxide is frequently used as an industrial cleaning agent where it is often called "caustic". It is added to water, heated, and then used to clean the process equipment, storage tanks, etc. It can dissolve grease, oils, fats and protein based deposits. The sodium hydroxide solution can also be added surfactants to stabilize dissolved substances to prevent re-deposition. A sodium hydroxide soak solution is used as a powerful degreaser on stainless and glass bake ware. It is also a common ingredient in oven cleaners.
For clearing blocked drains, the caustic soda liquid is used directly by slowly pouring into the drain opening, followed by adding hot water extremely slowly and carefully.
For advice on specific uses of sodium hydroxide please email us with your questions.
Health & Safety
R-phrase(s): R35 Causes severe burns.
S-phrase(s): S26 In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. S37/39 Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection. S45 In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show the label where possible).Click here to view sales specification sheet